The Community Education Committee’s goal is to raise community awareness and provide clarity regarding issues pertinent to the education mission of the Manhasset School District.
Community Education Co-Chairs:
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
School Budget Vote and Board Election Vote
Tuesday, May 21 6:30 am - 10 pm
Manhasset Secondary School Gymnasium
The 2013-2014 budget maintains opportunities for students in the “4A’s”: Academics, Arts, Athletics and Activities and supports continued excellence in education. These new reduced numbers reflect the District’s participation in NY State’s recently enacted pension smoothing program.
- The budget to budget increase 2.56%
- The tax levy increase is 5.98%
THE LONG TERM RECORD OF RESTRAINED TAX INCREASES
Since the financial crisis, and well before the implementation of the NY State tax cap legislation, the District used reserves and fund balance to reduce tax levy increases, keeping Manhasset’s 5-year tax levy increase consistently lower than the Nassau County average of 2.90%.
- The 5 year average budget to budget increase is 2.13%
- The 5 year average tax levy increase is 2.55%
THE CHALLENGE: A SUPERMAJORITY VOTE
Because the tax levy exceeds Manhasset’s allowable tax levy limit, the support of a supermajority (60% or more) is required for budget approval.
THE IMPACT OF TWO VOTES
If the first vote fails reductions may be required, which may diminish the educational excellence for which Manhasset is known. Reductions may impact the District’s ability to offer the “4 A’s” and undermine Manhasset’s respected educational program which our community has historically valued and supported.
Two failed votes would impact the educational program Manhasset is known for and may result in:
- higher class sizes K-12;
- elimination of ALL interscholastic athletics MS, JV and Varsity;
- elimination of all before- and after- school programs and activities K-12; and
- added reductions necessary to conform to contingency budget rules, impacting use of facilities, equipment, administration and other non-teaching personnel.
ONE AND DONE: VOTE ON MAY 21
Rally your spouse; your friend, your neighbor. Every Vote Matters.
Interesting Facts about Manhasset Schools, Learn More>>
Board of Education Meeting, Link to Board of Education Site>>
Let Your Voice Be Heard!
ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE?
Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Information>>
The SCA urges all Manhasset residents who will be 18 or older by Tuesday, May 21, 2013, to participate in the school budget vote being held that day. If you currently are not registered, you can easily register in one of the following ways:
1) Download a PDF version of the NY State Voter Registration Form at www.elections.ny.gov. Print the form, complete and sign it, and mail by MAY 3 RD to: Nassau County Board of Elections, 240 Old Country Road (5 th Floor), Mineola, NY 11501-4800;
2) Pick up a registration form at the security desk of the Secondary School, Munsey Park, Shelter Rock or the Manhasset Public Library, or at the doors of the auditoriums before upcoming school concerts. Complete and sign it, and mail it to the above address;
3) Call 1-800-FOR-VOTE to request an application. Complete and sign it, and mail it to the above address;
4) Register in-person between 8 AM and 4PM on days when school is in session at the District Clerk’s Office, located on the second floor of the Secondary School, and an additional registration day of Saturday, May 11 from 10 AM to 2 PM.